BKA Management Documents (NC, AGM etc)
All documents relating to the BKA Management are now held on their own page under the About Us menu tab
Link to: BKA Management Documents
Resources For Clubs and Dojo Leaders
Insurance Documents (Updated as of 18/02/2020)
For further information about the cover please visit the portal offered by our insurers Sports Insure.
Health & Safety
Safety Policy & Guides:
Health & Safety Information – Document providing guidance to BKA clubs on Health and Safety
- SAFETY GUIDE – KENDO (8 Jun 18)
- SAFETY GUIDE – IAIDO (8 Jun 18)
- BKA SAFETY Compliance Form (8 Jun 18) -For completion by BKA member clubs
- BKA Use of Swords (2009) – Advice on the use of Iaito and Shinken from the Iai Bucho (April 09)
Accident Reporting Form:
Generic Risk Assessment:
- Significant Medical Issues Policy – Advice on handling students with medical issues. Resource pack includes the following:
- Anti Doping Resources
Equality and Diversity
Coach Training Programme
- Coaching Development Overview
- Coaching Joining Instructions Template (Level 1)
- Coaching Joining Instructions Template (Level 2)
- Coaching Development Programme – Guide in Word format
- Coaching/Teaching Guidelines – Advice on how to coach effectively
- Coaching Children – Best practice advice for teaching younger budoka
BKA Documents for Individuals
- Nomination Form (PDF) – for National and Bu Executive positions
- Nomination Form (DOCX) – for National and Bu Executive positions
- BKA Constitution (latest version)
- BKA Shogo Policy (07 May 2020)
Resources For Individuals
Materials, Guides and Policies for Individual Members and Clubs
- You can join, upgrade and renew online here.
- Membership Fees – Information about types of membership, costs and how to join.
Kendo Competition (Taikai) Rules and Regulations
- Kendo Bu Squad Code of Conduct
- Kendo Bu Squad Selection/De-selection Policy
- BKA Rules for Kendo Championships
Kendo Guides and Manuals
- Kendo Beginner’s Guide – a new and practical introduction for kendoka of all levels, by Terry Holt sensei (2nd edition updated July 2014)
- Referee Book – A guide to the role of kendo referee (Shinpan) by Terry Holt Sensei. (Second edition revised and updated January 2010).
- Kendo Equipment Manual – A guide to the using and maintaining kendo equipment, clothing and armour. Available in English, French and German (see links at the bottom right of the page for self-extracting zip file).
- The Kendo Reader – A highly regarded work on kendo practice by Noma Hisashi, written in the 1930’s, but still relevant and fascinating today.
Iai & Jodo Taikai
- Iaido and Jodo Taikai Management Guide – A Guide for the Management of Iaido and Jodo Taikai
- Jodo 3-Man Team Taikai Guidance
- Dress for Iai Taikai
- Jodo Nationals Ranking 2015-2019
- Iaido and Jodo Bu Sqad Code of Conduct v1.0
- Iaido Squad Selection Policy v1.0
- Jodo Squad Selection Policy v1.0
- Main BKA Newsletter – Known as ‘News Online’ despite being the printed version!
- Jodo Newsletter – Update produced by the Jodo Bu
- Hagakure – Hagakure (meaning In the shadow the Leaves or Hidden Leaves), is a practical and spiritual guide for a warrior, drawn from a collection of commentaries by the samurai, Yamamoto Tsunetomo.
- The Unfettered Mind – The Unfettered Mnd is a three-part treatise on Buddhist philosophy and martial arts written by Takuan Soho, a Japanese monk of the Rinzai sect. The title translates roughly to The Mysterious Records of Immovable Wisdom.
- BKA ‘Fan’ Logo – for use by clubs on official and promotional material, websites etc. (Right click to save on your own PC)
- Promoting Sport Toolkit – a range of resources from Sport England (off-line @ June 09?)
- How to Work with the Media – a useful guide from Sport England
- How to Write a Press Release – ditto
- Kendo Promotional Flyer (A4) – Need a leaflet to hand out at kendo demonstrations or a poster to stick in the dojo changing room?Artwork for a new leaflet, designed by professional graphic designer Katsuya Masagaki of Wakaba dojo, is available here. The leaflet has space at the bottom which dojos can stamp or print with local contact details. PDFs of the artwork are available in A4 and A5 size.