BKA Management Documents (NC, AGM etc)
All documents relating to the BKA Management are now held on their own page under the About Us menu tab
Link to: BKA Management Documents
Resources For Clubs and Dojo Leaders
Insurance Documents (Updated as of 18/02/2020)
For further information about the cover please visit the portal offered by our insurers Sports Insure.
Health & Safety
Safety Policy & Guides:
Health & Safety Information – Document providing guidance to BKA clubs on Health and Safety
- SAFETY GUIDE – KENDO (8 Jun 18)
- SAFETY GUIDE – IAIDO (8 Jun 18)
- BKA SAFETY Compliance Form (8 Jun 18) -For completion by BKA member clubs
- BKA Use of Swords (2009) – Advice on the use of Iaito and Shinken from the Iai Bucho (April 09)
Accident Reporting Form:
Generic Risk Assessment:
DCMS Risk Assessments & Action Plans:
Equality and Diversity
Coach Training Programme
- Coaching Development Overview
- Coaching Joining Instructions Template (Level 1)
- Coaching Joining Instructions Template (Level 2)
- Coaching Development Programme – Guide in Word format
- Coaching/Teaching Guidelines – Advice on how to coach effectively
- Coaching Children – Best practice advice for teaching younger budoka
BKA Documents for Individuals
- Nomination Form (PDF) – for National and Bu Executive positions
- Nomination Form (DOCX) – for National and Bu Executive positions
- BKA Constitution (latest version)
- BKA Shogo Policy (07 May 2020)
Resources For Individuals
Materials, Guides and Policies for Individual Members and Clubs
- You can join, upgrade and renew online here.
- Membership Fees – Information about types of membership, costs and how to join.
Kendo Competition (Taikai) Rules and Regulations
- Kendo Bu Squad Code of Conduct
- Kendo Bu Squad Selection/De-selection Policy
- BKA Rules for Kendo Championships
Kendo Guides and Manuals
- Kendo Beginner’s Guide – a new and practical introduction for kendoka of all levels, by Terry Holt sensei (2nd edition updated July 2014)
- Referee Book – A guide to the role of kendo referee (Shinpan) by Terry Holt Sensei. (Second edition revised and updated January 2010).
- Kendo Equipment Manual – A guide to the using and maintaining kendo equipment, clothing and armour. Available in English, French and German (see links at the bottom right of the page for self-extracting zip file).
- The Kendo Reader – A highly regarded work on kendo practice by Noma Hisashi, written in the 1930’s, but still relevant and fascinating today.
Iai & Jodo Taikai
- Iaido and Jodo Taikai Management Guide – A Guide for the Management of Iaido and Jodo Taikai
- Jodo 3-Man Team Taikai Guidance
- Dress for Iai Taikai
- Jodo Nationals Ranking 2015-2019
- Iaido and Jodo Bu Sqad Code of Conduct v1.0
- Iaido Squad Selection Policy v1.0
- Jodo Squad Selection Policy v1.0
- Main BKA Newsletter – Known as ‘News Online’ despite being the printed version!
- Jodo Newsletter – Update produced by the Jodo Bu
- Hagakure – (meaning In the shadow the Leaves or Hidden Leaves), is a practical and spiritual guide for a warrior, drawn from a collection of commentaries by the samurai, Yamamoto Tsunetomo.
- The Unfettered Mind – is a three-part treatise on Buddhist philosophy and martial arts written by Takuan Soho, a Japanese monk of the Rinzai sect. The title translates roughly to The Mysterious Records of Immovable Wisdom.